Grandma Mattie

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Gratitude For Goodly Parents

[A Chapter of Family History written October 2, 1997]

“Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren ye have done it unto me.”
This quote reminded me today of my own beloved mother, and dad, Carlos and Elena Sanchez Rodriguez.
“Kindness and gentleness were the ways of her household. Her candle does not go out by night,” paraphrased from Proverbs 31. In Mosiah 2:17, “when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God.” Our parents showed an example of compassion for others in their various circumstances.

I remember the Gernertt family, Ed and Rene who where our friends. They were a young family whose second son, Johnnie was born with a deformed hand. He did not have separate fingers of his left hand. It was webbed and looked like his fingers had not developed properly and grown together which resembled a permanently closed, small fist. He had a thumbnail besides some finger nails grown together.

Carlos and Elena knew that perhaps this young boy could receive help through plastic surgery to make his fingers separated and free them. Daddy was a thirty-third degree Mason and Shriner who contributed generously to the Shriner’s Children’s Hospital which helped under privileged children with special medical needs. They told the Gernertts about the possibility of getting doctors to look at Johnnie.

Carlos would help to drive the Gernertt family to Los Angeles for their appointments with the surgeons for consultations to operate on his hand to separate his fingers. My mother’s association and friendship to this family was a comfort and a strength to them and to their son. Johnnie eventually had the use of his crippled hand after several surgeries.

My mother would always prepare meals for this family of all boys when they came to visit us. That friendship lasted over forty years. I remember that our home was always a haven, especially to those in need. My parents would sometimes take them into our home and helped them until they “got on their feet.” When I was a teenager in high school, one of my mother’s cousins, Tony and his wife, Lupe from Brownsville, lived in our home when the two of them were first married. They stayed until they found a place of their own to live. They always remembered and appreciated Mom and Dad’s generosity and opened hearts.

Mother and Daddy spent many hours giving Christ-like service. When Tony and Lupe’s first child, Tony, Jr was born, he had a club-foot. My mother suggested they go with them to the same children’s hospital for treatment and care to correct the deformity of the little boys foot. The success of the treatment was phenomenal. Again, those young parents were grateful for the suggestion, time and service given to take them to the hospital to sit and wait with them at the appointments and surgeries. Tony, Jr was able to run and play to even participate in sports like other children did his age, because he not longer had a club- foot or limped when he walked. His foot was straight and this young boy had a normal childhood.

My parents never turned away anyone who was truly down and out or without money. Their kindness and generosity were ever present as they served others. As I recall, we always had what we needed in our home. We were not wealthy in the things of the world, but we owned our homes, and always had plenty to eat and enough to share with others.

Another time, one of my aunts, Anita came from Washington state to stay with us until my Uncle Albert (who was my mother’s brother) was transferred with the Air Force to California. My Aunt Anita did not speak much English being from Mexico. I shared my room with her, and got to speak Spanish to her during her stay. She literally became part of our family during her stay and helped out a lot with cooking and cleaning the house for us. I remember going on my first date in eighth grade, to a Job’s Daughter’s semi-formal dance. I could not afford to buy a dress for the dance. My aunt loaned me a beautiful white chiffon dress with black velvet trim for the occasion. It was my first date and I received my first corsage, a lovely white gardenia. I felt like Cinderella, and Tia Anita was my fairy godmother.
My parents both “cast their bread upon the waters,” and after many days found it come back an hundred fold. They never went without the necessities of life and always had enough to share with others. "Surely goodness and mercy followed them all the days of their lives."

I count my many blessings for their example as they never ceased to give of themselves.
Their charity never failed. They extended charity to their own family as well. They gave their all for any of us children in need; even when we were all grown and had families of our own. They were always their with arms opened and willing to give in any way needed.

If one of us was having difficulties or not, I remember Mom would open her purse and find a twenty dollar bill stashed between the compartments in her walled of pictures. Daddy would like wise perceive my need and lend his support in his own quiet way. I felt special to him. My love and gratitude towards them both was thanks enough for them. Their hearts were solid gold.

During the years that they had some of the grand kids live with them while one of my brothers was incarcerated for a time. My parents would drive every other month almost to San Francisco to visit a son who needed them more than they would every know. Yes, they sacrificed many hours of their own personal pleasures for each of us in different ways.
The grandchildren were a large part of their lives for several years in their home. How could we ever repay such a debt of gratitude of that magnitude? We can’t actually, at least not on paper. My parents gave much more than they received it seemed. How they loved all their great-grand children and babies. What a wonderful legacy to pass to their posterity forever.

Our parents worked hard all their lives and gave much. I appreciate that their sole concern was to be sure that we, their loved ones had a roof over our heads and a place to call home. Their example of giving before thinking of themselves continues to bless each one of us as their posterity.

Daddy was always our spiritual leader and Mom his support. They constantly showed us a sermon by their many acts of sharing, caring and hours of service. Daddy lead us in a daily devotional and prayers.
He read the scriptures to us and read from the booklet, Our Daily Bread at meal times.
Mom and Daddy exercised great faith in God and in each of us. They were a support to each of us and encouraged us to do good, and know that God was always there to answer our prayers.

They gave us the knowledge and tools to live by and how to work in the garden of life. They gave us a shield of faith to face the darker times and see the sunlight through the clouds of despair. How great their influence is still and always will be to us all.

My debt of gratitude is great. I thank my father for all his goodness and charitable traits. I cherish the memories and feelings in my heart for the great man that he is and continues to be the Patriarch of this family. I appreciate my mother for her sterling character and who taught me many of her talents and gift of motherhood. These memories are treasures of the life shared by them together.

I just want you Daddy, to know of the deepest gratitude in my heart while I can still tell you “THANK YOU” for all you did and still do for me and my brothers and sisters. I love you Daddy, and Mama, forever with all my heart. You are both my heroes.

Love, Anna Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment