Grandma Mattie

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What Others Are Grateful for and about in their life--in Daily Herald



Whatever your feelings on turkey and sweet potatoes, you have to love a holiday specifically meant to celebrate the bounty we Americans enjoy so freely. In honor of Thanksgiving this upcoming week, we asked readers to tell us what they were thankful for. Some wrote poems, others a short sentence or two. Many mentioned that family, faith and friends are among their greatest blessings. A few letters noted specific acts of service, like a single mom who bought extra packages of ground beef for a family out of work, or an orthopedic surgeon who left his Thanksgiving dinner to help a child. One Santaquin mom was even thankful for a near-fatal accident that shook her family "into a better place."

At the Daily Herald, we are grateful for the continued support of our readers, for their inspiring stories and lives. We hope you enjoy reading the submissions below as much as we did.

SNbS-- Compiled by Karen Hoag.



The best is yet to come

I'm thankful for paper cuts, dry skin and split ends because they remind me that I'm very alive.

I'm thankful for memories that merit weekly re-tellings, and for the capacity to laugh at seemingly unfunny things, like my brother's jokes.

I'm thankful for my recent entrance to the world of "aunthood," and for my 5-pound niece for making that entrance so exciting.

I'm thankful for my talkative father and listening mother.

I'm thankful for new socks that don't cut into my ankles.

I'm thankful for traffic, slow computers and faulty Internet connections because they give me frequent opportunities to cultivate patience.

I'm thankful for my subscription to the Wall Street Journal, and for the unknown paper deliverers that ensure its daily arrival on my doorstep.

I'm thankful for my dad's five heart bypasses, and for the cardiac surgeon who created them in March.

I'm thankful for the Provo Bakery and their bread bowls that resemble pumpkins.

I'm thankful for mercy; for blessings that come well disguised as painful and unpleasant experiences.

I'm thankful for faith, future blessings and a knowledge that the best really is yet to come.

-- Maizy Wilkinson, 24, Provo, registered nurse

No comments:

Post a Comment